Sharp Electronics Corporation
Effective: March 2, 2015
Please note that other sites of Sharp or our affiliated entities, including our parent corporation or subsidiaries, as well as any sub-sites, applications, features, programs, blogs or social networking functionality accessible through SharpUSA, may have their own specific privacy policies. In addition, note that other websites which may link to or be accessible via SharpUSA, including sites of Sharp's affiliated companies or third party sites, may also have their own privacy policies. Sharp encourages you to review those applicable privacy policies.
Your California Privacy Rights
Residents of California have the right to obtain information (free of charge and limited to the preceding calendar year) about the categories of your personal information disclosed to third parties for their "direct marketing purposes", as well as information about the identities of the third parties that received your personal information for "direct marketing purposes". These requests must be submitted to us at: email@example.com. Requests to this email address shall be provided within thirty (30) days; requests received through other means (including different email addresses or by phone) shall be provided in a reasonable period. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year.
Information We Collect
You are free to browse through SharpUSA to learn more about our products or services without providing any personal information about yourself. However, in order to participate in some activities, including for direct purchases, or to get more specific product or service information or availability via SharpUSA, we may ask you for information that could be used to reasonably identify or contact you personally ("Personal Information").
- Personal Information may include your first and last name, home address and zip code, telephone number and/or email address; if you are making any Sharp product purchases directly through SharpUSA, additional Personal Information requested may include your shipping and billing information, as well as credit card information or other payment information necessary in order to process your purchase.
- At times, we may ask for employer-related information, such as company name, company contact information or market, when your activities on SharpUSA are related to business-related products or services.
- Other information we may also ask you to provide includes demographic information or information related to your preferences and interests.
- If you choose not to provide this information to Sharp, you may not be able to participate in certain activities, including contests, sweepstakes or other promotions, making purchases, or may not be able to access the full range of information regarding Sharp and its products or services available via SharpUSA.
- Sharp may also collect information about how you use SharpUSA, including your search activities on the Site and preferences, information on the device you use to access and use SharpUSA, and information on how you interact with the Site, including pages visited and the date, time and duration of your visit. This information is aggregated and used to help us provide a more user-friendly Site, as well as improve the Site's functionality and our delivery of information to you. Any aggregated data that cannot be used to reasonably identify you or contact you personally is considered non-Personal Information.
How We Use Information Collected
Any Personal Information or other information you provide via SharpUSA will be used, first and foremost, to support your customer relationship with Sharp, as well as to deliver information related to Sharp and its products or services.
- For instance, the information may be used to provide information or customer support to you in the form of providing you with services you are requesting from Sharp, including technical support.
- The information may also be used to process and complete any transactions you are requesting, such as direct purchases.
- The information may also be used to communicate with you or provide you with additional information about our company, products or services, including new or existing products, where to purchase our products, product upgrades, special offers, marketing and advertising activities, to announce promotions, contests or sweepstakes, provide warranty or technical information on our products or services, as well as to deliver Sharp news or information on upcoming Sharp-related events in general.
- We may also use Personal Information or other information you provide or that we collect to enhance your overall experience and ease in using or accessing SharpUSA, or to customize your experience.
- Sharp may also share information provided or collected with existing and potential third party service providers to deliver or improve existing or new products or services, to deliver information to you about our products, services, contests, sweepstakes, promotions or offers, to help develop better products or services, or to manage or improve SharpUSA in general.
Who Do We Share Your Information With
Sharp is not in the business of selling your Personal Information. However, there may be times when we share information you have provided to us or that we have collected via SharpUSA with the following entities:
- Affiliates: Sharp may share your Personal Information as well as other information we collect via SharpUSA with our affiliated entities, including our parent corporation and subsidiaries.
- Business Partners: We may also share your Personal Information or other information we collect with our business partners, including our authorized dealers and distributors.
- Parties Involved in Corporate Transactions: We may disclose your Personal Information or other information collected via SharpUSA with our affiliated entities or third parties as part of a transfer of Sharp's business assets, a merger or acquisition or a corporate reorganization.
- Parties Involved in Law Enforcement or Legal Protections: There may be times when Sharp will disclose or share your Personal Information or other information collected via SharpUSA in order to comply with the law, applicable regulations, court orders or subpoenas, or search warrants. Your Personal Information or other information collected via SharpUSA may also be used to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements, or to protect our rights, property or safety, or the rights, property or safety of our users or others.
Other than above, Sharp will provide notice when Personal Information about you may be shared with third parties and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information. To the extent that you share your Personal Information or any other information with any of the parties referenced above in this section and such information is not in their possession through Sharp sharing it with them, please refer to the privacy policies of those entities to determine how your Personal Information or other information is used. Sharp's contractors or third party service providers who have access to your Personal Information in connection with the provision of services for or on behalf of Sharp are required to keep the information confidential and not use it for any purpose other than to carry out the services they are providing to or on behalf of Sharp.
How We Respond to Do Not Track Signals
As there is currently no industry standard on how Do Not Track signals should be responded to or how Do Not Track functionality is activated across various web browsers, Sharp does not at the present time generally respond to Do Not Track signals.
If you would prefer not to accept Cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a Cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing Cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject any Cookies. Please be aware that if you disable or reject Cookies, some features and services on our Site may not work properly.
In conjunction with Cookies, Sharp uses "Web Beacons" on SharpUSA and in some Sharp emails to monitor traffic generated from various forms of advertising such as banner ads, or to track general traffic. A Web Beacon is a graphic on a web page or in an email message designed to track pages viewed and messages opened. Web Beacons are often invisible because they are typically only 1-pixel by 1-pixel in size. In many cases, companies place Web Beacons on web pages to collect data about visitors. When a user requests a page on our Site, the Web Beacon is retrieved/activated. Once the Web Beacon is retrieved/activated, it points to an external site to retrieve the image. At that time it can also pass along information such as the IP address of the computer that retrieved the image, the time the Web Beacon was viewed and for how long, and the type of browser that retrieved the image. This information is then compiled and made available to Sharp. Web Beacons, along with Cookies, enable us to enhance your experience on SharpUSA and assess our marketing efforts; like Cookies, Web Beacons do not access your personal information.
We contract with third-party advertising agencies, marketing entities and other third party service providers to serve advertisements when you visit SharpUSA or other web sites across the Internet. The advertisements placed on these third-party web sites may use tracking technologies, such as Cookies and Web Beacons, to collect anonymous information about your visits to SharpUSA and other web sites. Sharp may also share anonymous information with these companies in aggregate form and/or engage with these companies to provide interest-based advertising both on and off SharpUSA or other web sites operated by Sharp. In either case, the purpose of the sharing is to provide advertisements about products and services that may be of interest to you, analyzing and improving the effectiveness of ads and e-mails, and improving and enhancing SharpUSA and its content.
Sharp also currently uses Google Analytics Display Advertising on SharpUSA to collect data about traffic on our Site; the Google Analytic features we have implemented include:
- Remarketing with Google Analytics;
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting; and
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting focusing on:
- Affinity categories which identifies users in terms of lifestyle interests (examples: sports fans or technophiles);
- In-market segment categories which identifies users based on their product purchases interests.
Sharp complies with Google's applicable policies regarding implementation of these features.
Users can find out more information about the ability to opt-out of interest-based marketing conducted by third parties, including Google, by visiting the following websites:
Information Collection by Third Parties
We may allow third-parties, including our authorized service providers, advertising agencies and marketing entities to use tracking technologies, such as Cookies and Web Beacons, to collect non-personal information about your visits to SharpUSA and other web sites. This information generally enables them to track and gauge the effectiveness of our Site and of various marketing campaigns, as well as to serve ads about Sharp products and services that may be of interest to you when you visit other web sites across the Internet.
Third Party Sites and Services
Personal Information of Children
At Sharp, we are committed to protecting the Personal Information of children. As such, SharpUSA is not intended for use or access by individuals under the age of 13 and Sharp does not knowingly collect, use or disclose such information from individuals under the age of 13. If Sharp becomes aware that an individual under the age of 13 has provided us with Personal Information, Sharp will take steps to delete such Personal Information.
Sharp takes precautions - including administrative, technical and physical measures - to safeguard your Personal Information against loss, theft and misuse as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Although we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard the confidentiality of any Personal Information collected, we will not be liable for disclosure of Personal Information obtained due to errors in transmission or the unauthorized acts of third parties. Please be aware that emails you send to us are not transmitted in a secure environment. Therefore we recommend that you do not send sensitive or financial information to us in an email.
Please note that any Personal Information or content you share via a blog or other public forum accessible via SharpUSA may be visible to others and can be read, viewed, collected or used by them. You are responsible for any Personal Information or other information you choose to share or submit in this manner.
Your Choices and Opt-Out Opportunities
If you do not wish to receive promotional communications or notices from us in the future, or if you do not want us to share any of your Personal Information with any third parties, you can "opt-out":
- during your Sharp purchase process, if applicable;
- by sending an email message to us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or
Please be sure to give us your exact name and address so we can be sure to remove your name from our lists.
SharpUSA is operated in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, including in the European Union or in Canada, any information, including Personal Information, we collect or that you provide to us, will be transferred and processed in the United States. By using SharpUSA or providing us with any information, you understand and consent to this transfer, processing and storage of your information in the United States. Please note that the privacy laws in the United States may not be as stringent or protective as in the non-US countries where you reside or are a citizen.
Questions or Concerns